OWLS Up2Us Assistant Coach
OWLS creates opportunity for Chicago’s most at-risk youth through scholarship, service, and the sport of lacrosse. Using inner-city schools and community centers as an access point we provide:
- Scholarship access for high school and college
- Service-learning projects to support the communities we serve
- Lacrosse programming within a sports-based youth development model
Ultimately, seasoned OWLS participants achieve in the classroom as well as on the field, and explore educational and economic options past the high school setting. OWLS currently serves over 150 at-risk youth at six school sites and four park district locations in Chicago. 99.4% of our participants identify as Black/Hispanic/Multi-Racial and 90% of our students live in low-income households.
OWLS is partnering with the Up2Us/Americorps mission to inspire youth to achieve their potential by providing them coaches who are trained in positive youth development. The Up2Us Coach will assist our Program Director, providing program support and directly mentoring, coaching, and tutoring students throughout the year. The position is ideal for a college student or recent graduate who is eager to gain experience in sports-based youth development and education.
- Assisting the Program Director during practice 2 times per week after school during the fall and spring season, occasionally leading drills and activities;
- Assisting the Program Director during “Lunchtime Lax” learn to play clinics 1-2 times per week during the fall and winter season, occasionally leading drills and activities;
- Collaborating with the Program Director to plan practices;
- Support OWLS site managers in all logistics and administrative tasks related to youth programs (grades 3-8) [includes equipment management, data entry, filing, family communication].
- Providing academic and social-emotional support to students during the school day (in school hours are flexible and can accommodate other positions or obligations as needed) and after school.
Ideal Up2Us Coach candidates should be able to coach independently set appropriate goals and expectations not only for players, but also for themselves. Our participants are generally very energetic and possess a multitude of personalities, learning styles and emotional differences.
- Lacrosse experience as a player or coach is preferred, but is not mandatory.
- Basic proficiency in Excel/Word is a plus, but not required.
- Consent to a nationwide criminal background check is required.
- Living stipend of $7,770.00
- End of service education award of $2,685.00 furnished by AmeriCorps
- Training workshops throughout the year from Up2Us and OWLS Lacrosse.
Available: August 2017
Appointment: 12 months, 20 hrs/week
Send a cover letter and resume with “OWLS Up2Us Coach” and your name in the subject heading to our Executive Director, Sam Angelotta (firstname.lastname@example.org). Finalists for the position must also complete an application through Up2Us to be selected.
OWLS Lacrosse is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit entity
www.owlslacrosse.org ◆ 1772 W Ainslie St, Chicago IL 60640 ◆ email@example.com ◆